KDbg - A Graphical Debugger Interface
Home | Screenshots | Download | Change log | Tips & Tricks | Todo | Manual
notes for version 2.5.3.
notes for version 2.5.2.
notes for version 2.5.1.
notes for version 2.5.0.
notes for version 2.2.2.
notes for version 2.2.1.
notes for version 2.2.0.
A list of changes after 2.0.4 up to 2.1.1 is only available from the
- Fixed encoding of the Czech translation thanks to Jakub Galgonek.
- Added support for QString in Qt4's debug libraries.
- Fixed that the debugger window really comes to the foreground and
receives the focus when the debuggee stops at a breakpoint, when this
option is on (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=171845).
- Fixed parsing of gdb output that mentions "operator<<", "operator>>",
"operator<", and "operator>" within text delimited by angle brackets <>.
This fixes a crash when any such function is disassembled and other
- Fixed parsing stack frames that mention "operator<<" or "operator<".
Thanks to Charles Samuels, who pointed out the problem and provided
an initial fix.
- Fixed stack display for functions in an anonymous namespace and for
functions whose names involve template parameter lists (thanks to André Wöbbeking).
- Fixed environment list which would add back the entry from the edit
box even if it was just deleted.
- Fixed that the Run/Continue button was enabled while the program was running.
- Fixed parsing of NaN (Not a Number) floating point values.
- Updated Hungarian translation (thanks to Tamas Szanto).
- Worked around gdb 6.3 crashes at "info line main" command (thanks to
- Updated XSLT debugger parser for xsldbg >= 3.4.0 (by Keith Isdale).
- References and const types are treated like the base type (thanks to
- Fixed parsing of large arrays with many different values, which were
terminated by "...".
- Fixed the kdbg.desktop file: Encoding is UTF-8, install in XDG menu
- Fixed PS_COMMAND detection for Solaris' /bin/sh.
- Added a new animated button in the toolbar.
- Fixed Norwegian translation file names.
- "<invalid float value>" in register dumps was not parsed correctly.
- Fixed that variable popup location was computed incorrectly if tab
width is not 0.
- Updated the manual.
- Implemented printing of Qt4's QStrings.
- Fixed some issues when the items in the environment variable list
- Added a command line option -p to attach to a process (thanks to
Matthew Allen for the initial code). See kdbg --help.
- Fixed the "Using host libthread_db" error message properly.
- Fixed inappropriate icon sizes.
- Updated the build system to the latest auto* tools.
- Worked around the problem that gdb reports "Using host libthread_db"
on Fedora Core when it processes the file command.
This is a beta release. Translations and the manual are still incomplete.
The major changes since since the 1.2.x release series are:
- Editable variable values.
- The current line of execution can be changed easily.
- "Orphaned breakpoints", ie. breakpoints that cannot be set immediately.
This eases debugging shared libraries and dynamically loaded modules.
- XSLT debugging thanks to Keith Isdale (experimental).
- Fixed the "Using host libthread_db" error message.
- Fixed inappropriate icon sizes.
- Really fixed security flaw regarding the program specific debugger command.
(Thanks to Matt Zimmerman, who pointed out the flaw in the previous "solution".)
- Fixed the charset definition in the Russian translation (thanks to Alexander Kogan).
- Fixed security flaw regarding the program specific debugger command.
- Fixed parsing of stack frames for recent gdbs.
- Support vector registers (thanks to Daniel Thor Kristjansson
for initial code).
- Work around bug in some gdbs which inhibits printing of
- Now compiles for KDE 3 out of the box.
- Opening the Find dialog no longer
toggles a breakpoint.
- Make mouse wheel work (again) in
source, variables, and watch windows.
- When a pointer to a struct is
expanded the struct is also expanded.
- Improved toolbar and application icons.
- Now compiles for KDE 3.
- Fixed make install for builddir !=
- Fixed status bar flicker. This gives a nice speed-up in
general, and for displaying the contents of an array of 50 QStrings
it is about a factor of 4 on my machine! (I wanted to
fix the problem already more than a year ago, but did not find the
cause, so I gave up. Not one of my best ideas :-()
- Now compiles for KDE 3 (Beta1).
- Support QString of Qt 3.x.
- Improved (and fixed) the display
of arrays with repeated values.
- Fixed crash when a file is
reloaded while disassembled code is displayed.
- Fixed parsing of stack frames involving signal handler
- Fixed invisible toolbar under KDE
2.x (really, this time, I promise).
- Fixed crash when no line has the
cursor (empty files).
- Don't display a blank page when a
non-existing file was tried to open.
- The memory window is now organized in columns. Values that
changed between program stops are displayed in red color. Big kudos
go to Alexandre Clement for this feature.
- Fixed a special, but common case
where removing a breakpoint didn't work but add more on the same
line instead (thanks to Ron Lerech).
- Fixed invisible toolbar under KDE
2.1.2 (thanks to Neil Butterworth).
- Fixed compilation for gcc 3.0
(thanks to Ben Burton):
- Fixed make install if srcdir !=
- Changed encoding of German translations (and also Danish,
Italian, Norwegian, Romanian, Slovak, Swedish) to UTF-8, which fixes
message strings under KDE2 (at least for German - couldn't test the
- Working directory can be browsed
- Added context menu to move the
selected expression from the local variables window to the watch
- Fixed crash when environment
variables are removed.
- Fixed problems with trailing
backslashes in watched expressions.
- Fixed compilation on FreeBSD (openpty).
- Translations for: Hungarian,
Japanese, Norwegian (Nynorsk), Serbian, Turkish.
- Updated the User's Manual (English, Russian (thanks, Ilmar!),
- Improved the program icon; made
the installation more KDE2 compliant.
- Enabled mouse wheel scrolling at various places (KDE2/QT2
- Added memory display.
- Single-stepping by instruction.
- Watchpoints. Finally! (On Linux/i386 works best with gdb 5!)
- Made Delete key work in the watch
- Breakpoints can be enabled and
disabled in the breakpoint list.
- Detach from debugged program on
exit (and when new program is debugged).
- Added a list of recently opened executables (thanks to Thomas
- Fixed endless loop on shutdown.
- Brought in line with KDE 1.91 (KDE 2 beta).
- Debugging of multi-threaded
programs. Requires a gdb that supports multi-threaded programs, like
gdb 5 (as far as
Linux is concerned).
- Debugger window pops into the
foreground when the program stops.
- Made tab width a user-settable option.
- Display disassembled code. To disassemble a line of source
code, just click the '+' symbol in front of the line. You can now
set breakpoints at any instruction.
- Use the KDE system fixed font for
the source code window. This means that you can now change the font
- in the KDE Control Center (section Desktop, entry Font).
- By default, communication with gdb
is not logged. But a transcript file can be specified using the
command line option -t file or the environment
- Added an integrated output window
(based on code by Max Judin).
- Program specific settings can be set. In particular: the
debugger command (required if you are debugging remote devices), the
terminal emulation needed for the program.
- Use docking windows thanks to Max
- Added a register dump window.
Based on code by Max Judin.
- Implemented "balloons"
(tool tips) that show variable values.
- ./configure fix for
NetBSD thanks to Berndt Josef Wulf.
- There's now a Swedish translation thanks to Örjan
- Save and restore watched
- More adjustments for the KRASH
- Show <repeat...>
count in QStrings like in normal C strings instead of repeating the
- Use QListView instead of KTabListBox.
- Added a hack to set a remote
target. (See tips&tricks.)
Thanks to Johnny Chan.
- Display function arguments. Based
on suggestions by Johnny Chan.
- KDE 2 fixes.
- Support builddir != srcdir.
Version 1.0.0 - Release
- Brought up-to-date for latest KDE 2.
Version 1.0 (beta 3 - release candidate)
- Minor tweaks.
- Prepared for KDE 2 and Qt 2 (it's
a configure option: --with-kde-version=2).
- Added Russian documentation
(thanks to Ilmar S. Habibulin ) and German documentation.
- There is now a Spanish translation thanks to Manuel Soriano.
Version 1.0 (beta 2)
- Recognize strings with repeated
characters: 'x' <repeats 34 times>.
- Fix structs with no (additional)
data members and other fixes for gdb 4.18.
- Save window size across sessions.
- There is now an Italian translation thanks to Massimo Morin.
Version 1.0 (beta 1)
- Fixed non-displaying QString (Qt2)
with certain gdb 4.17's (at least mine here, of SuSE 6.1, had a
- Fixed cases where gdb commands
where executed after debuggee has exited.
- Do not execute gdb commands after
- Updated some translations. Still
most are incomplete. Please help!
- There is now a Polish translation thanks to Jacek Wojdel.
Last modified April 01, 2013.
You are visitor number
since February 21, 2001. Thank you!